Saturday 13 October 2012

TRAVEL: Shanghai - 豫园

IT'S SATURDAY!!
I was awake pretty early and decided to head to Yu Yuan (豫园) for a walk! And while I was doing my make up, the news on TV caught my attention...... They were introducing the Shanghai Pet Fair from 10 - 14 Oct at Expo!!!

YESSS LAAA .....
So I headed out happily after checking the map.

I took the MRT from Tang Qiao Station (塘桥站) to two stops away, Xi Zhang Nan Lu Station (西藏南路站) and went by foot because on the map, it didnt seem very far off. Alighted, and I started seeing some owners walking their pet dog. :)


See! I told you, I'm near.

And after walking for 30mins, I finally found the place! And it took me another 15mins to find the entrance. (@#$%!@#$) So far can!! T.T


And I went in .....
.........to find that this is not what I am looking for.
This Expo is like a history lesson of Shanghai. Its an exhibition to commemorate the city, those history stuff yea. =.= And the next thing that came into my mind was - OK I go Yu Yuan (豫园).

So I walk another 20mins or so to the next station Lu Ban Lu Station (鲁班路站), and took 8 stops to Zhong Shan Park Station (中山公园站) as it is near YuYuan Road.


FIRSTLY, according to my internet research, Yu Yuan is at MRT line 10, there is a Yu Yuan Station. But my HOLY MAP dont even have line 10! This map was bought from my hotel's gift shop and it was stated year 2010. I thought 2 years wouldn't change much, therefore I bought it. T.T Wrong wrong wrong ..... I was out of my hotel at 9.30am, and wasted nearly 2 hours and got nothing done! *punch self*

So there was a shopping mall beside Zhong Shan Gong Yuan Station, and I bought myself a Coffee Bean Ice blend.


....and I took a cab to Yu Yuan (豫园).
The most hateful thing to know is that the cab is bringing you back to 西藏南路. That only mean one thing -  豫园 is nearby my place. =.=


BAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH~
Anyway, i reach 豫园 safely.

I was WOW-ed by the whole place. Its like a Universal studio - the Ming Dynasty style!

Yu Yuan Garden (豫园) is famous classical garden located in Anren Jie, Shanghai. The garden was finished in 1577 by a government officer of the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) named Pan Yunduan. Yu in chinese means pleasing and satisfying, and this garden was specially built for Pan's parents as a place for them to enjoy a tranquil and happy time in their old age.

Below are the shops outside Yuyuan Garden. They have many interesting little stalls selling handicraft items and tea leaves, decors and loads of local food.







The famous 汤包


Look at the below photo:
Using straws to drink the soup from inside the bao
I did not try, coz the que was super longggg....

Just look at the amount of people !!



Small handicraft items for sale.

This uncle cuts paper for a living.
And his works are so impressive that I almost bought a pair for Ronny. But but but .... I find it a lil' useless coz I know there is no meaning behind this. =.= So I dropped the idea.


The old way of people watching 'movie'




Looking weird isnt it? - a Starbucks planted among these buildings..

Yu Yuan Garden:

In the 400 years of its existence, Yu Yuan Garden had undergone many changes. During the late Ming Dynasty, it became very dilapidated with the decline of Pan's family. In 1760, some rich merchants bought YuYuan Garden and spent more than 20 years reconstructing the buildings. During the Opium War of the 19th Century, Yuyuan Garden was severely damaged. The Yuyuan Garden has undergone restoration project which began in 1956, and open to public in September 1961.

The Garden occupies an area of 20,000 square meters.















Okay, no more.
Too many photos which has no meaning.

Below:
Famous 小笼包 eating place.
I qued. And after waiting for 5 mins, I gave up. Life has no meaning like this. And I carry on walking the little Yuyuan town.

LOOK AT THE CROWDS!!
Really is 人山人海!!







Ok. So this is my Yuyuan Garden trip. :)
Following on, I headed to Shanghai Expo whereby Baby was on the other end of my Whatsapp giving me directions!! (Because I did not do my homework properly!!!)

Bought Tea leaves from YuYuan! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment